History of McCormick dates back to the 19th century and was founded by Cyrus Hall McCormick, when he expanded his family blacksmith shop in Chicago and began to produce mowing machinery. At the end of the 19th century, his thriving business employed 5,000 people. In 1902, McCormick Harvesting Machine Company merged with Deering Harvester Company, creating International Harvester, which later expanded to Europe. The first tractor by the company was introduced in 1906. The expansion of production gave rise to a new plant in Doncaster, England, and another one in St. Dizier, France, in 1951.